Over time, tree branches might grow in unfavorable directions on your property, specifically, over your house. The last thing you want is for a storm to come along and tear that looming branch off and have it end up in your living room. Even less desirable, you don’t want to be there when it happens.
If you’re in the market for a new pole saw, DeWalt has what you need.
A Brief History of DeWalt
Raymond DeWalt founded his company in 1922. In 1941, they expanded rapidly to meet government demands. In 1949, American Machine Foundry acquired DeWalt, and the company continued to grow and produce industry-standard equipment.
DeWalt introduced its first line of electric power tools in 1992, and in 2011 expanded its offerings with the 20V MAX System, the system used by the tools in this article. Using global materials, all DeWalt tools are made in the USA.
Best Dewalt Pole Saws
Let’s take an in-depth look at some of Dewalt’s best pole saws.
The DeWalt 20V Max Cordless Pole Saw + Hedgetrimmer
- DCPS620 Pole Saw reaches up to 15 ft.*** and delivers up to 96 cuts per charge**
- DCPH820 Pole Hedge Trimmer Head reaches up to 12 ft.**** and features a 22 in. steel, laser-cut, dual-action blade for fast cutting with 2800 spm
The DeWalt 20V Max Cordless Pole Saw is offered as part of a combination kit, including a pole hedge trimmer. It’s powered by a lithium-ion battery and comes with a charger. Since it’s cordless, you can take it anywhere you need to. The battery, when fully charged, can perform up to 96 cuts.
The bar and chain are 8 inches long, and the pole has a maximum reach of 15 feet. The same pole is used if you would like to switch the saw out for the hedge trimmer. With the hedge trimmer attached, the tool then has a maximum reach of 12 feet. The hedge trimmer comes with a 22-inch steel, dual-action, laser-cut blade with 2800 SPM.
This model also comes with a shoulder strap and a blade sheath for added convenience. Also included is a tensioning wrench for proper maintenance and a bar sheath.
- Bonus hedge trimmer included with the kit
- The kit also includes sheathes for bar and blade, allowing easy storage
- Shoulder strap included for easy use
- Tensioning wrench included, required for ongoing maintenance
- Testing performed with a 6 feet tall person, so maximum reach may not be average for everyone
- Prone to snags when using the hedge trimmer
- Limited torque
- Designed only for weak foliage and light use
- Front-heavy, somewhat unbalanced, despite its lightweight
The DeWalt 20V Max XR Cordless Pole Saw Kit
- Extension pole for up to 15" Reach
- Metal bucking strip and tree hook for durable cutting grip & To easily remove pruned branches
- Brushless motor for up to 96 cuts per charge on a 4"x4" Pressure treated Pine wood
- 8" Low kick back Full compliment Bar and chain
- Auto oiling
At first glance, you may think this model is identical to the previous version, but there are a few key differences. Both are yellow, black, and silver, and both come with an 8-inch bar and chain. Both underwent tests that determined a maximum reach of 15 feet, and the lithium-ion battery provided for both clocks in at 96 cuts per charge.
Now let’s look at the differences. The DeWalt 20V Max XR Cordless Pole Saw is equipped with an automatic oiling feature, making maintenance and use a breeze. The saw utilizes metal bucking strips allowing for a durable grip when cutting. This model also comes with a tree hook making branch and foliage removal simple.
The DeWalt Brushless Motor
The DeWalt 20V Max XR Cordless Pole Saw comes with a brushless motor. To understand why this is convenient, let’s look at brushless motors versus brushed motors.
A brushed motor comprises two magnets, one positively charged and the other negatively charged, and within the magnets are armature coils, a commutator, and carbon brushes. The brushes supply the tool with an electrical charge.
In a brushless motor, the brushes and commutator are ditched in favor of an electronic controller. This is the equivalent of a tiny computer in your pole saw. The electronic controller negates friction loss contributed to a brushed motor and reduces energy loss. What’s more, there are no brushes to wear down with use, so there no brushes to replace after long-term use.
- Brushless motor has a longer lifespan
- Automatic oiling feature
- Metal bucking strips and tree hook included
- Low kickback when in use
- Comfort grip handle
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Comes with 1-year of free service from DeWalt
- Comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee
- Not built for heavy-duty cutting, such as through thick tree limbs
- Like the previous model, the maximum reach advertised is based on a six feet tall person, meaning actual reach may vary
- Agencies associated with DeWalt service maintenance may no longer be active or current, so that could hinder the 1-year free service guarantee
- Heavy, not built for use by small frames
What to Look For When Shopping for Pole Saws
When shopping for a pole saw to perform routine maintenance on your property by eliminating threats and overgrowth, the key things to look for are functionality, the tool’s lifespan, required maintenance, and safety.
The brushless motor in the XR model adds longevity to the tool and reduces the need for ongoing maintenance. Keep in mind that with every use, you’ll want to perform upkeep before and after sawing.
What happens if the pole saw touches the ground while in use?
If the saw accidentally touches the ground while in use, the blades and chain may dull immediately. Avoid this by maintaining a firm grip and moving the saw steadily. Only operate the saw while it is in the air, and never directly over your head.
Is there a window to observe the oil level?
Neither model offers a window to monitor oil levels, but there is an oil level indicator.
How thick of a tree can this pole saw cut through?
A tree 4 inches in diameter is the recommended maximum thickness for attempting to cut through.
Between the DeWalt pole saws in this article, your best bet is most likely the DeWalt 20V Max XR Cordless Pole Saw Kit. While the hedge trimmer bonus with the first model is excellent, the second model offers much more versatility and convenience. The automatic oiling feature adds to the convenience, and the XR model also comes with every feature the non-XR model provides.