Do you have pesky tree limbs and branches that are just out of your reach? To solve this problem, all you need is a pole saw. This saw gives you an extra extension to remove branches and limbs without using a ladder or having to hire an arborist. Electric pole saws are a fantastic option because they don’t require gas or any other fuel type, yet they’re more powerful than battery-operated saws.
To make the process of selecting an electric pole saw less of a challenge, let’s go over factors to consider and the best electric pole saws on the market.
Things to Consider When Choosing an Electric Pole Saw
Here’s what you should look for when shopping for the best electric pole saw for your needs.
Length & Reach
One of the most important factors to consider is the length of the saw you’ll need to safely and effectively reach your trees. If you get a saw that still requires a ladder, it completely defeats the operation’s purpose.
Manufacturers like to use the terms “maximum length” and “maximum reach” when describing electric pole saws. However, it’s important to note that these two words describe two different things and aren’t interchangeable.
The maximum length refers strictly to the pole length, while maximum reach considers both maximum length and a person’s arms reach. When using an electric saw, it’s essential to make sure you have at least an additional seven feet beyond the maximum length for best results.
Another critical aspect to consider is the length of the cutting blade itself. Typically, it’s best to choose a cutting blade bar that’s larger than the thickest limb or branches you’re seeking to cut. So, if the thickest branch you want to trim is six inches thick in diameter, aim for a saw that’s at least seven inches or thicker.
It’s also crucial to consider the weight of the saw you desire to use. Even though these saws’ designs are more portable and compatible with overhead use, some are heavier than others and challenging to use for extended periods of time.
Lastly, depending on your budget, it may be worth considering additional features on an electric pole saw, such as safety switches, ergonomic grips, and more. Although these features may add extra cost, they are beneficial because they provide convenience and improve the trimming process’s safety and accuracy.
Sun Joe SWJ800E 8-Inch Electric Pole Saw
- EXTENDS REACH: Ideal for cutting overhanging limbs and thin logs
- TELESCOPING: Pole extends to 8.7 ft. to provide 15 ft. of overhead reach. No Load Speed (rpm) 6000. Sound Power Level : 108 dB
- POWERFUL: 6.5-amp motor cuts branches up to 7.5-inches thick
- AUTO-LUBRICATION: 8-inch cutting bar and chain with automatic lubrication. Oil tank capacity (fluid ounce): 2.7
- WE’VE GOT YOU COVERED!: Your new pole chainsaw is backed by the Snow Joe + Sun Joe Customer Promise. We will warrant new, powered products for two years from the date of purchase. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Contact Snow Joe + Sun Joe customer support at 1-866-766-9563 for further assistance.
This electric pole saw offers the best of both worlds in terms of functionality and low price. The Sun Joe SWJ800E has an eight-inch automatic lubricating blade bar. Its maximum length is 8.7 feet, giving a maximum reach of 15 feet.
The saw is only 7.7 pounds, making it an excellent choice for using effortlessly overhead. Its 6.5-amp motor is powerful yet does not make a lot of noise that could disrupt neighbors. All these features make this our top choice for the best electric pole saw on the market.
- Low cost
- Two-year manufacturer warranty from date of purchase
- Auto-lubrication system
- Sharp blade for thicker branches
- Easy to adjust and to maneuver overhead
- Overall sturdy product
- Doesn’t include oil for auto-lubrication
- The weight of the product feels unevenly distributed, making it difficult to get used to
Worx WG309 10-inch Corded Electric Pole Saw
- [UP HIGH OR DOWN LOW] It’s really 2-tools-in-1: A pole saw for trimming branches from trees, and a regular chainsaw for projects on the ground
- [POWERFUL MOTOR] At 8 Amps, you’ll get consistent performance and reliability from this streamlined machine
- [AUTO CHAIN LUBRICATION] The automatic oiler will always have the chain operating at peak efficiency, for faster, more controlled cuts
- [COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT] At only 10 pounds, this saw is designed to be held up high and to be maneuverable once it gets up there
- [DO IT YOURSELF. DO IT BETTER. DO IT WITH WORX.] WORX tools are engineered with cutting-edge technology, and above modern efficiency standards, so you can build a cost-effective tool collection that’s been designed to last
This electric pole saw offers a little bit of everything in terms of a lower price, auto-lubrication, auto-chain tension, and installation without tools. This blade bar is ten inches and weighs about ten pounds. You can use this saw for overhead branches or on the ground level as a chainsaw.
- 2-in-1 tool-can use both overhead and on the ground level
- Easy assembly and maintenance
- Low price
- Overall sturdy tool
- Auto-lubrication and auto-chain tension technologies
- Ergonomic handle that rotates 180 degrees
- The product is corded, which can potentially get in the way during use
- Feels heavy using for more extended periods or with larger branches
- Delayed timing of safety features
- Doesn’t include oil for auto-lubrication
Scotts Outdoor Power Tools PS45010S 10-Inch Corded Electric Pole Saw
- Scotts pole pruner with a powerful 8-Amp electric motor for cutting tree branches and limbs around your yard; Fully extended pole is 9'5" long
- Tree trimmer pole saw with 10" Oregon bar and chain with 30 degree/5-adjustable cutting head angles; Includes a blade cover for protection and easy storage
- Corded electric chainsaw with a pole that features an automatic oiling system with oil level window and tool-free tensioner chain adjustment
- Plug-in pruning chainsaw that requires no gas; A great alternative to gas pole saws for tree trimming
- Power pole saw with a rubber over molded handle and foam grip for your comfort
This electric pole saw is another reasonably priced option that gets tree trimming jobs done right. It takes ergonomics into account with its foam grip handle and five adjustable cutting angles. The blade bar is ten inches with an automatic-lubrication system and adjusting for chain tension requires no tools. The pole fully extends to 9.5 feet, making it easy to reach overhead branches.
- Low price
- The presence of a cord retention hook keeps the cord maintained and out of the way
- Adjustable cutting angle settings
- Comfortable handle
- Most extended electric pole on the market
- Three-year manufacturer warranty
- Easy to use
- Can feel heavy after long periods
WEN 4019 6-Amp 8-Inch Electric Telescoping Pole Saw
- Telescoping pole adjusts anywhere from 5.3 feet to 7.3 feet for up to 12 feet of overhead reach
- 6-Amp motor rotates the Oregon chain up to 36 feet per second
- Weighs in at a mere 6.7 pounds to limit user fatigue during operation
- Design allows for tool-free chain adjustments and emission-free operation
- Includes an 8-inch Oregon saw chain, a blade cover, a shoulder strap, and a two-year Warranty
This electric pole saw is versatile and comes at a low price. Its pole is adjustable from 5.3-7.3 feet to allow for up to 12 feet of overhead reach. This saw’s design is portable, weighing only 6.7 pounds. Its eight-inch blade makes getting the toughest of branchless a low-stress process.
- Two-year manufacturer warranty
- Easy to adjust the chain without the use of tools
- Top-notch safety features
- Relatively lightweight
- Simple assembly
- Low price
- Telescopic pole clamp variably stays in place, may require additional clamp for stability
- The chain can come out of place
Remington RM1035P Ranger II 8-Amp Electric 2-in-1 Pole Saw
- 2-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY: Logs on the ground? Simply detach the saw from the pole to convert the unit from a pole saw into a chainsaw No tools required!
- LONG REACH: Designed with a shaft extendable up to 10-feet for high branches With operator height considered, the pole saw can cut limbs 10-feet to 15-feet overhead making those previously hard-to-reach places easy-to-reach
- ELECTRIC POWERED: An 8-amp electric motor instantly starts to drive the chain over the low-kickback 10-inch bar and chain Get to work right away on your lawn care, trimming, yard work, and other projects
- ADJUSTABLE: A telescoping design paired with flip and lock clamps allows the operator to quickly adjust the length of the pole saw so that trimming trees of varying heights isn’t a hassle
- PRUNE IN COMFORT: Chainsaw has non-slip grip to enhance comfort and an Anti-rotation pole for stability during use Maintain optimal comfortability, comfort, and command
This electric pole saw is another fantastic option for a 2-in-1 tool. You can use it as a pole saw for overhead branches or convert to a chainsaw for ground use with this saw. Its blade bar is 10 inches, and its pole allows for adjustable, overhead maximum reach of ten to fifteen feet. This saw weighs 12.75 pounds.
- Reasonably priced
- Easily convertible from pole saw to chainsaw
- Comfortable, maneuverable handle
- Cord guard to prevent tangling and obstacles
- Tool-free chain tensioner
- Pole height is easily adjustable
- Overall sturdy product
- Heavy and difficult to handle
- Can leak oil when not in use
When choosing the right electric pole saw, it’s vital to take saw length, blade length, product weight, and additional appealing features into account before making a purchase. Even though there are several factors to consider, there are quality products on the market.
All of the mentioned five products are excellent candidates for making tree trimming jobs less of a hassle and safer. All are relatively low budget and have many valued features to offer, but our top pick, the Sun Joe SWJ800E, goes above and beyond.