Chainsaws are handy tools for cutting trees into logs and pruning small trees. They are a great alternative to pole saws and there a whole lot of options on the market now: gas-powered, electric and battery operated, all of which have their own strengths and weaknesses. Gas powered chainsaws are the most powerful and recommended for professionals looking to fell large trees. Battery operated chainsaws are best for branch trimming and light jobs. Electric corded chainsaws are the least expensive and best suited for homeowners with smaller yards closer to an electric outlet. Besides choosing the kind of power the machine uses, you also have to consider ease of use, blade length and the amount of maintenance required.
Choosing the best chainsaw, especially in 2019, can be as hard as felling a tree. The market is growing bigger and more competitive. Every manufacturer is becoming more creative to stand out from the rest. With this, great features are innovated daily. This is good and bad news equally to consumers. You get good, reliable products only if you are keen to purchase from trusted brands. That is why we’re here. We try to help you not fall into the hands of fraudsters.
Best Chainsaws for 2019
We spent hours researching, testing, rating and ranking the best chainsaws for 2019. We took into account reliability, cutting performance, ease of use and safety. Hopefully, our list will help you navigate which chainsaw is the best one for your unique needs.
Husqvarna 460 24-Inch Chainsaw
The Husqvarna 460 24-Inch Chainsaw cuts through the hardest of woods easily like a knife cuts butter. This is a monster chain saw that knows its work well and gives you the best results. It is constructed using very high-quality materials that will make it serve you for a very long time even if you use it on a frequent basis. The 60cc model comes with one message for its users; ultimate power. For this reason, it tops on our list.
A lot of fantastic features make it the best fit. First, the manufacturer equipped the chainsaw with an inertia activated chain brake. What this does is that it stops the machine from working in case it falls. This goes a long way in preventing unforeseen catastrophic accidents. Secondly, the chainsaw employs the use of Smart Start Technology which like the name suggests, makes starting it a lot easier. The chain is a little bit heavy but that is understandable considering the amount of power it holds. If you’re looking for a powerful and long lasting machine that won’t be a problem to start, this is it.
Makita XCUO3PTI Battery Chainsaw Kit
- Makita-built outer rotor BL Brushless motor direct-drive system provides high power efficiency equivalent to a 32cc gas chain saw
- Variable speed trigger and high chain speed (0-3, 940 FPM) For improved cutting performance
- "Tool-less" chain adjustment for convenient operation and maintenance. Chain pitch: 3/8 inch
- Built-in lock-off lever helps prevent the chain from accidentally engaging. Large oil filling port with view window allows operator to easily add and check bar oil level
- Built-in L. E. D. On/off switch with auto power-off function; automatically shuts the saw off when operation is delayed for extended battery life
This is an electric chainsaw that comes with its battery kit. Most people find it very inconvenient to work with the electric cable attached to the chainsaw for various reasons. Among these is that some cables are usually short. To help solve that problem, the Makita XCUO3PTI is designed with its battery kits, which save energy too. Its maintenance is low and operations quiet; two solid reasons why you ought to purchase it.
This chainsaw operates using two 18 volts batteries that are standardized by the Makita Company. The batteries are rechargeable so as to extend its operating duration. The Makita chainsaw isn’t made for commercial purposes but rather domestic ones. Finally, the chainsaw comes with a switch off button that automatically switches the chainsaw when it is put on the ground. There is an advantage and disadvantage to this. The thumbs up is that it prevents a lot of accidents but you will find it very tiresome to repeatedly switch it on no matter how short you place it down, maybe even to just pick up a piece of wood.
WORX WG304.1 Chainsaw 18-Inch 4 15.0 Amp
- 15.0 Amp motor output delivers a more powerful cutting performance to the extended, 18 inch bar
- Patented auto tension chain system prevents over tightening; stays at the right tension for hundreds of uses
- Low kick back bar and built in chain brake for added safety; Chain Links : 63
- Automatic oil lubrication and built in oil reservoir with window level indicator; Oil tank capacity : 200 milliliter
- Comes fully assembled right out of the box, and includes 3 year manufacturer’s warranty
The WORX WG304.1 Chainsaw 18-Inch 5 15.0 Amp picks up our award for the best value for money product in our list. It is a corded electric chainsaw. What this means is that you won’t have the problem of running out of batteries when under operations. You will, however, need an extension cable to connect it to the power source. The machine comes when it is already pre-assembled which will save you loads of time and energy. This is really thoughtful of the manufacturers.
One of the maintenance requirements of this chain saw is that you will need to oil it regularly. Don’t worry, for it isn’t a difficult task. All you need to do is pour oil on a reservoir then leave the rest to the machine. It will automatically apply oil to its inner parts. Another great feature about it is that it comes with an automatically chaining system whose function is to prevent accidents. All in all, this is a good chainsaw if you don’t mind the regular oiling. It will provide nice services and have good value for your money.
BLACK + DECKER LCS1240B 12 Inch lithium Ion Chainsaw
- 40-volt, 12-in cordless electric chainsaw is ideal for cutting small trees and removing limbs up to 12-in thick
- 40-volt MAX Li-ion battery holds a charge up to 18 months, so it's always ready to start work (battery and charger sold separately)
- Low-kickback bar and chain protects you from kickback force and frequency and provides smooth and fast cuts
- Lightweight 8.3-lb design offers easy maneuverability and less fatigue, and the full wrap-around handle provides additional comfort during extended periods of use
- Tool-less chain tensioning provides fast and easy adjustments, so you don't have to worry about work interruptions
This is a lightweight battery powered chainsaw that performs quite well for its weight. The chainsaw is limited to lightweight duties and won’t be of much importance for heavy duties. It can be used for pruning small trees, cutting firewood and small trees. Its very quiet and won’t distract neighbors or people nearby. Also, it comes with batteries so be assured of easy mobility and maneuverability with this one. For maintenance, you should remember to oil it regularly. We will have to deduct a point from this one due to its expensive batteries. You will have to dig in a little deeper to ensure that the chainsaw is up and running. Overall, this is a good lightweight chainsaw and can prove its usefulness in domestic works.
Poulan Pro 20 Inches 50 cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw
- With the OxyPower engine technology, you can get that extra power for virtually any task. This technology offers a more powerful engine, but also 70% less emissions and 20% lower fuel consumption
- Effortless pull starting system reduces pull force 30% for easier starting and reduced wear on the starter mechanism
- The combi tool is integrated into the rear handle, it's always there when you need it for maintenance
- The purge bulb, which provides the carburetor with fuel and makes the product easier to start with fewer pulls, is protected, reducing the risk of damage
- User friendly combined choke/stop control allows faster starting and greater reliability by reducing the risk of engine flooding
Last on our list is a gas-powered chainsaw that is powerful enough to compete with the first product on our list. The 50 cc engine Poulan Pro Gas Powered Chainsaw will tackle any difficult challenge that falls along its path. It incorporates the use of OxyPower engine technology which enables it to use 20 percent and 70 percent less fuel consumption and emissions respectively. It also comes with a choke control that eases the process of starting the machine and engine flooding.
Another great feature with this machine is that the handle is comfortable to handle and provides a firm grip. Its maintenance is low and comes with a 2-year warranty. What we liked most about the Poulan Pro 20 Inches 50 cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw is that it is well designed and easy to use. In addition, it is cheap and proves that you don’t have to spend a huge fortune to acquire reliable services.
Our above-outlined products are the best in the market. You aren’t restricted to a certain choice. No choice is a wrong choice. It all depends on your preference. Purchase your best pick and let us know what you think about its performance. Remember to also be mindful of proper cutting techniques and safety equipment as well. Happy tree felling!